Saturday, June 20, 2009

Elasticity!


Okay, so I'm finally updating my Friday lesson...I rode last week as well, but I guess I need to get more militant with myself about posting so I can actually use this blog to track my progress. **I also added pictures to Andrea's entry, so make sure to go check them out. :)

I was just getting on when Gayle arrived, so I took advantage of the timing to ask her to help with my pre-ride "ritual". We worked on standing poll flexion, which isn't anything like the way Chris Cox does it. I'm also sworn to secrecy, and made to promise that I won't teach anyone else how to do it. ;) It's something that's very hard to explain unless you're actually having someone stand next to you and show you, plus Gayle really emphasized that it can be harmful if misinterpreted and misused. But basically, I learned how to gently flex him at the poll (not his neck, at all...Gayle warned of repercussions of neck-flexing, especially when/if Pro ever gets into a double bridle!). She reminded me that the horse's atlas is a very delicate piece of anatomy, and doesn't need to be wrenched around in order to achieve flexion. Now, the neck-bending we did way back when she first started with us, that was discipline. And Gayle is quite clear on the differences between discipline and training. That was discipline, now we're training. :)

He warmed up pretty well at the walk, especially using my "high hands" trick to counter any attempts at giraffe-face. Pushing my stomach at my hand if he jigged. We moved on to the trot, and continued to practice "threading him through the bit", one piece at a time. Bump with my inside leg (or both legs, gently, to ask for a touch more impulsion), give with the inside rein when he pushes his energy back at me. Eventually we had quite the lovely trot :) and even ventured off of our circle into a figure-eight. And I bravely did my best at resisting the urge to TAKE my inside rein when he stiffened and pushed his energy back at me as we neared the bunny tree. Inside leg, give inside rein! We're making chasing the bit into his new safe place - where things feel familiar, comfortable for him. If he gets nervous, remind him to chase the bit, and he relaxes. And he did!! Finally, after many years, Pro is finally trusting me. Gayle reminded me that it will take a long time to completely undo all the misunderstandings from prior rides (both with me, and others before me). But he's finally realizing that he can trust me, and that I'll keep him safe, and always give him a safe place to go.

I also had a major conceptual breakthrough. :) I forget what triggered it, but I suddenly realized that ALL of these years, the words "on the bit" had conveyed the wrong idea to me. The horse doesn't go ON the bit, he goes TO/TOWARD the bit!!! The energy has to go forward, things have to go forward, how can things go forward if we're pulling their faces backward? Or pulling anything backward? I guess I'd "known" this in my head after working with Gayle, but it finally clicked into place and I really, truly got it. When everything goes forward, and Pro chases the bit, it looks as if he's "on the bit" when he's really always moving toward the bit.

We even cantered some, and he was so delightful about the whole thing. A nice easy transition up into the canter, and he relaxed into it. I feel like I can really sit deeper and more still when I consciously lift my lower legs off his sides at the canter. And Gayle reminded me that at all gaits, my seat looks more still if his back is up (counter-intuitive). There's no conscious going-with-the-motion of the horse (ie, moving hips, etc.) - you just sort of go with them by being still. If the horse's back is hollow, that's when your seat moves around, so it's a good way to check if their back is up...the feeling of "stillness" in your seat.

Gayle said Pro has finally (!!) developed elasticity. :) Longitudinal elasticity is the foundation of lengthening and shortening the stride, and lateral elasticity is the foundation of good lateral work. She said he's a solid 7-year old these days, so I'm just thrilled! :)

3 comments:

Andrea said...

Glad the lesson went well. He was a bit rushy and forward on Thursday after his day off, so I was hoping he'd settle down for you.

The idea of going towards the bit as opposed to "on" the bit makes sense. Hopefully our lesson this Fri will go as well!

DinkDunk said...

I like that analogy of 'chasing the bit', but I can't get that to work with Skate! He prefers a strong contact...the light stuff I prefer causes him to search a lot more for his comfort zone. If I just go ahead and take a strong hold (probably only a lb of contact, really) he's much steadier and willing to step up to the contact.

ChristieNCritters said...

You are just making such HUGE progress with Pro! How awesome!