Monday, August 24, 2009

Getting Acquainted

Hey guys. Phoebe continued to get ouchier and ouchier for a couple rides so she got about a week off and I've started back riding her. The last two rides have been probably 95-99% sound. She'll step a bit short around turns every now and then, but for the most part she seems good to go.

Since our first ride we've gotten a lot more used to each other. She's an interesting ride in that she's not really off your leg when you start, she doesn't go forward, but then again she also stays at a steady tempo/speed. So I've started letting her stay in her comfort zone until we walk/trot/canter in each direction. Once she canters a bit her motor gets going and she'll go forward when you ask. Our turning has improved, we can actually stay in the ring now. ;) She tends to lean in on turns and prop on her inside shoulder, so now I'm working on that with her. She's also a good education in canter departs. If I drop her front end as I ask for the transition she runs through it, but if I keep contact she'll usually step into it nicely.

One thing I'm rapidly falling in love with are her gaits. Her trot and canter are both ZOMG-amazing ;). Super easy to sit, even once she gets rolling. I have no idea how they'd score in the dressage ring, but for riding they're a lot of fun. This evening once she got rolling I could see why she'd been at an event trainer. Cantering her around made me want to go take her XC and jump around and I'm a giant wuss :). She's just a lot of fun to mess around with. If I can keep her in consistent work for another week I'll start pushing her for more stuff. Right now I'm trying to just keep her mostly correct and let her build up some muscle. Hope everyone else is having fun.

3 comments:

ChristieNCritters said...

Yay, I am glad you are getting to ride! I hope she stays sound so that you can continue. She sounds like a fun horse with those comfy gaits! Keep us updated! :)

sdf said...

She sounds like a fun girl! Gotta love those horses with super-smooth gaits. I hope she stays nice and sound!

DinkDunk said...

First question, What is the Z in ZOMG?

She does sound like a fun ride! I love those horses w/ that big canter that seems like they could just step over the jumps. That makes jumping way less scary!