I'm convinced that Pro is one of a very few horses that can be SO good and SO bad, all in the same ride.
He was lunged on Wednesday, but got a break until tonight because Andrea and I both took trips to the mountains. My break was restful, and I'm pretty sure Pro got sufficient rest during HIS break as well...goodness!! He started off very good, we walked the full span of the arena and he immediately reached for the end of the rein and stayed there, unkinking. Wonderful! I then played with crossing the diagonal, 20m circles, etc. and he still stayed reaching at the end of the rein. As he unkinked, his stride stretched out and he felt huge, expensive even!
And then something startled him at the bunny tree and it all went downhill for the next 20min. He wore out my left shoulder from the repeated "come here" and though he was fine on the circle, he kept trying to throw fits by the tree...trying to scoooooot on past it real quick. Every time, I brought him back, turned him in a small volte off my outside aids, and tried again, insisting he must WALK by the tree. After awhile, though we were making progress, I could tell that his stubbornness (and darn it, he's FIT!) was going to outlast my shoulders tonight, so I gradually moved our circle over down the ring and worked on trotting. Back to good again! Still reaching and stretching through the end of the rein after a few "come here" moves with the inside rein. He was so good that I let him canter at the end, just planning on letting him stretch out while I rode in two-point with our usual opening inside "baby" rein. Pro had other ideas - he tried to take off!! Literally trying to haul the reins out of my hands and just run. Thankfully he's a bit too "stupid" to know how to gallop (he just bounds in strong short strides), so I was able to bring him back, regain a good trot, and try again. Then he relaxed into a forward canter, so after letting him stretch, I ended on that note.
Now either Pro and Skate both had Red Bull put in their water troughs ;) or the nice weather just has them ALL feeling good!!! His bad was BAD tonight, but his good was SO good. I tried out some more sitting trot and it just felt wonderful as he reached to the end of the rein and filled up his back underneath me. I guess the good thing is that when he was being really naughty he really sank down on those HQ's - future piaffe awesomeness? ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Sounds like even though he was bad it was still a good ride. One of these days I need to make it up there to meet him!
Yup, I think the nice weather has all the horses feeling their oats. Bravo on your persistence, and on ending the ride on a high note!
See - I always thought warmer weather CHILLED them out? What IS going on with these redheaded nutbags?
I cracked up at your description of Pro as expensive - I told someone the other day that Skate thought he was some expensive 17hand warmblood on Saturday who could get away with being a fool. No way - when you're not a fancy horse, like Skate, you better be earning your keep!
Still, sounds like you had some wonderful moments stuck in with the bad. Remember back to when it was just all bad and try to feel good about your progress ; )
It has bee a while since we have heard about big meltdowns at the bunny tree, so THAT is a good thing! I am glad the ride began and ended on a good note, too. You have made such big progress! That is awesome!
Well, I see Pro is keeping us on his toes. I'm not sure many of our rides have gone downhill lately. Glad it started out well and he darn well better let me enjoy this beautiful weather!
Wow, Pro feeling expensive?!?! fancy pony! Its sounds like he is getting so much better, but he still has to remind you that he is, and always will be Pro!
Post a Comment