Monday, September 8, 2008

Bits?

I'm currently riding Skate in a single jointed snaffle with a small diameter mouthpiece since he has such a tiny mouth. He doesn't love it, but seems to like it a little more than the french link. He doesn't pull, just seems to want to evade contact. He will toss his head sometimes - I think the joint might be bothering him.

Anyone tried a mullen mouth? I'm thinking he would like the stability of that bit and it wouldn't wack him in the roof of the mouth, either. Plus, I think they are good for horses that are hesitant about seeking contact, no?

Other options: waterford - he's been ridden in this before and I happen to like these bits b/c unless you really crank on them (or they are poorly made) they are pretty mild.
Happy mouth- don't love this option because he's a gnawer and I'm afraid the mouthpiece might start getting rough, nor do I own one, but I'll give it a try.
I dont want to go with anything that encourages playing with the bit...he does this enough on his own. Nor do I want to go with copper - its a little soft for such a gnawer.

Any other ideas?

5 comments:

Double A Training said...

You might want to go a little thicker with the mouth piece. I understand why you got a smaller one for his small mouth but a thicker diameter is softer and might encourage him to lean/touch the bit more. The thinner ones tend to be a little sharper and it could be causing him to back off the bit even more.

I don't like happy mouths but most of my working bits have copper inlays.

Does he play with it a LOT when you are riding or only when you pick up contact?

DinkDunk said...

I tried a thicker mouthpiece, but he didn't seem to like it. This one isn't painfully thin, just thinner than average.

He plays with it all the time. From when it goes in to when it comes out. I think he'd prefer no bit.

Double A Training said...

First, I would leave the bit you have on him. Try playing with the height some to see if there is a better place for him.

If that doesn't work you might want to try leaving it in his mouth for a while. Either in his stall or in a paddock where he can do "normal" horse things but learn to carry the bit and not fuss with it. I do this with youngsters ALL the time. It really helps get them comfortable holding it and then their attention can be on you.

Kate said...

Hmmm, no advice here, as Pro just goes in a simple snaffle. But the other suggestions sound good!

ChristieNCritters said...

I like the KK ultra bits that have the 45 degree angle on the lozenge. It lies more smoothly across the tongue without so much nutcracker effect.

I was riding Deuce in the Dr. Cook bitless bridle last, though, and he was really doing well in it. I loved how other people just freaked out about it, too. I even took him on the last hunter pace I went to in it.