Thursday, June 19, 2008

First Outing in Two Weeks!

Yesterday, Artie and I didn't just THINK about a workout, we DID a workout! :-) heheheh.
I brushed him down and saddled him up. I decided that I'd do some groundwork exercises and maybe a some lunge line work with him prior to hopping on. As soon as I put Artie on a small circle, Kara started running around the pasture like a crazy lady. She'd stop, whinny, toss her head around, and then bolt off again. Artie thought it'd be fun to "spook" when he heard Kara's thundering hooves. I must admit, it was kinda nice to see a little bit of energy from him. ;-) He went beautifully to the left. He was a bit hesitant going right, but we worked through that.




After 10 min or so of lunge line work and a little groundwork, he was eager to please and relaxed. I bridled him and we went to the front yard to finish out our workout. We did a lot of walking -- circles, serpentines, bending, stretching, shortening, lengthening. We progressed to the trot and did similar execises. He did REALLY well! He did try to rush one side of the "arena" (the side heading back to the barn). So, to combat that, we did a LONG trot on the side going away from the barn and brought it back down to a walk going towards the barn. After a few rounds of this, he was consistent the entire time around.

We finished with more walking exercises -- bending around objects in the yard.
I was SOOOOO happy with him! I was a little worried in the beginning. But he didn't try anything stupid undersaddle and worked beautifully. :-)
I finished up with some pictures of the ham and I.






6 comments:

DinkDunk said...

What a good pony! He's so cute!

ChristieNCritters said...

YAY! I'm glad your boy was good and that you had a good ride! :)

Andrea said...

Oooh, cute horse! :) Glad he went well for you.

Kate said...

YAY for getting pictures despite your camera breaking!! We love pictures. And he looks so adorable. Glad to see you had a great ride.

Anonymous said...

Yes, we do love pictues! And Artie's so cute! I'm glad you had a good ride!

PiaffePlease said...

I just cant get over how adorable he is! Glad you had a good ride, and yea for pictures!!!